The Vastu shastra is a typical Indian architectural framework originating from India. The concepts of design, layout, measurements, ground preparation, space arrangement, and spatial geometry represente in texts from the Indian subcontinent. Vastu Shastras incorporate traditional Hindu and Buddhist beliefs.
A home, or domicile, is a space use as a permanent or semi-permanent residence for an individual, group or family. It is a fully or semi sheltered space and can have both interior and exterior aspects to it.
A home other than being only a house to live. It is an increase of our mental space and indication of our identity. Every part of our lives is deeply connect to our home’s architecture, decor and maintenance. Dwelling is the definition of vastu, which is the home for God and humans. Vastu shastra relies on various atmospheric energies. Like as solar energy from the sun, cosmic energy, lunar energy, thermal energy, magnetic energy, light energy, wind energy.
These energies can adapte to promote harmony, prosperity and achievement. When a house make according to these values, all the happiness in life come to the person. It would be a place for all sorts of problems, pressures and no harmony if it is against vastu values.
In this article you will know about vastu for home.
- 1 BASIC VASTU FOR PLOT
- 2 WHAT IS THE BEST LOCATION OF A PLOT?
- 3 WHICH PLOTS ARE NOT FAVOURABLE?
- 4 VEETHI SHOOL?
- 5 VEETHI SHOOL Remedies
- 6 VASTU FOR SITE SHAPE
- 7 SHAPES OF PLOT AND THEIR EFFECTS
- 8 Vastu FOR SOIL
- 9 VASTU FOR SLOPE
- 10 BASIC VASTU CHART FOR HOME
- 11 VASTU FOR BEDROOM
- 12 VASTU FOR LIVING ROOM
- 13 VASTU FOR MAIN ENTRANCE GATE
- 14 VASTU FOR OVERHEAD TANK
- 15 VASTU TIPS FOR SERVANT ROOM
- 16 VASTU FOR LOCKER ROOM
- 17 VASTU FOR SWIMMING POOL
- 18 VASTU FOR KITCHEN
- 19 VASTU FOR POOJA ROOM
- 20 VASTU FOR PLANTS AND TREES
- 21 RELATED POSTS
- 22 CONTACT US
BASIC VASTU FOR PLOT
The selection of a plot is very important. Becasue it is depending on position, orientation, shape, slope and soil quality. The plot represents a fixed type. It radiate both positive and negative energies. While selecting a plot these five major points to keep in mind. Normally a Vaastu Expert is not involve at the time of buying a plot.
If you already own a plot for construction of house or office. You should still refer to the Vaastu Guidelines prescribed for the selection of suitable plot. In the selection of a plot, the following Vaastu Guidelines should looke into. Because, most of these guidelines are based on scientific reasoning and few on common sense.
- PLOT LOCATION
WHAT IS THE BEST LOCATION OF A PLOT?
Peaceful, calm place with a lot of greenery and good water source with good soil, for obvious reasons. The fertile soil is an indication of good soil for construction.
Check the Plot history; it should be a good history. It is best to buy land where happy and successful people have lived. The natural reasoning behind the concept is totally psychologically. You will feel that a land where people were happy and prosperous; has good vibes or energy. Check for the road adjacent to the plot. Plot with pathways on all four sides is consider the best. It ensures health, wealth, prosperity and happiness. Plot with roads on all four sides is not about anybody’s property. Hence one can derive maximum lighting and ventilation from all four sides. The next best option is a Plot with roads in the North or East. The reasoning I understand for it is that more light and air can enter from these sides in the mornings.
WHICH PLOTS ARE NOT FAVOURABLE?
If someone has committed suicide on it in the near past. Or if there have been multiple accidents over a span of a few months. The plot should not buy. If you happen to know about such a history, you can mentally feel uncomfortable. Avoid purchasing a plot that is beaing sold under stress. Such Plots should purchase only with caution and proper consultation with a Vaastu expert.
We have to avoid sites near a public place or buildings. The Plot should not be near or adjacent to any public place like temple, hospital, factory, school, college etc. Such places will constantly crowdy and noisy. But if they are at least 80 ft to 100 ft away, then the plot is acceptable.
We cannot live in an environment with foul smell. It is advisable to avoid sites near smelly places. The Plot should not be near a meat shop, workshop, leather tannery, laundry, shoe shop, dustbins, sewage drains etc. The bad smell emanating from these places will permeate the house permanently and naturally create an atmosphere in the house that is not suitable to live in. If the plot is between large plots, it should avoid. In such plots the owner of the smaller plot can construct only a much smaller house than the owners of the larger plots and thus, may subconsciously feel ‘small’ with respect to the neighbors. This can create a feeling of inferiority in the owner.
It is good to avoid plots with a lot of cracks or too much wet soil. The cracks indicate dried up clayey soil and too wet soil also indicates clayey soil that does not allow the drainage of water. Such soil is not suitable for a building foundation as it will retain moisture and necessitate extra expenditure for water-proofing the foundation.
Strictly avoid Plots facing a T or Y intersection of roads. This is because you can see oncoming traffic and this may give you the nervousness feeling or lack of privacy. However, in some cases, as explained below, such plots are acceptable.
Plots facing a T or Y intersection, where roads or lanes run right into the face of the site from different directions, say Veethi (road) Shool (Arrows). Since the numerous permutations and combinations of paths, oncoming roads, directions, etc that make up the Veedi Shoolas. Its is difficult to comment on. Let us investigate the fundamental considerations by naming them as good, not bad, bad, and very bad.
- East-NorthEast If the oncoming road is from the East, and hits the North-East part of the Plot. It is a good site.
- North-NorthEast If the oncoming road is from the North, and hits the North-East part of the Plot, it is a good site.
- West -NorthWest If the oncoming road is from the West, and hits the North- West part of the Plot, it is considered as a not bad site.
- South-SouthEast If the oncoming road is from the South, and hits the South- East part of the Plot, it is considered as a not bad site.
- East – SouthEast If the oncoming road is from the East, and hits the South- East part of the Plot, it is considered a bad site.
- North – NorthWest If the oncoming road is from the North, and hits the North-West part of the Plot, it is considered a bad site.
- West – SouthWest If the oncoming road is from the West, and hits the South-West part of the Plot, it is considered a very bad site.
- South – SouthWest If the oncoming road is from the South, and hits the South-West part of the Plot, it is considered a very bad site.
VEETHI SHOOL Remedies
If your plot faces an intersection (called a Veethi Shool), as you can see the oncoming traffic and people, this may give you the feeling of nervousness or lack of privacy. To solve this the corner of the plot facing the intersection may use as a garage or car porch, etc., so that the intersection is not facing the main building. Or that section can fence off and used for some other purpose, such as a greenhouse or outhouse, etc.
VASTU FOR SITE SHAPE
The form of the plot impacts the well-being of the inmates, as per Vaastu Shastra. Some plot shapes have a positive effect, whereas other shapes have a negative impact, and some plots can be used after changes to a suitable shape have been noted. Since Vaastu is a science, every guideline has logic and reasoning behind it. I have tried to rationally and scientifically clarify these guidelines as a Vaastu specialist, so that you can determine what you want to adopt and what you do not.
|Regular/ Square Shape||Good|
|Circular/ Oval||Not Good|
|Semi circular||Not Good|
SHAPES OF PLOT AND THEIR EFFECTS
Square plot – A plot with equal length and width consider as an ideal site for construction. As per Vaastu, it ensures all round growth, prosperity and happiness. In ancient times, houses were designed around a central square courtyard, for better ventilation, a square plot was considered the most suitable.
Rectangle plot – A plot having the length and width in 1:2 ratio, consider good. If the length faces north and width faces west, it is more suitable. Such plots consider to bestow good health, wealth and prosperity upon the residents. Like in a square site, it is easy to design a square or rectangle shaped house in such a plot with extra space used for trees, outhouses etc.
Triangular plot – The Triangle shaped plot is not good. Such sites consider as sites where there will always be fear of fire.
Circular/Elliptical/Oval Plots – Such shape is not consider good for construction of houses. According to Vaastu, such plots would bring bad luck to the owners.
Plots With more than 4 sides – Pentagon, Hexagon, Octagon shaped plots should avoid for construction of houses. People in such plots always live in fear.
Gou-mukhi plot – A plot that is narrow in the front and wide at the back , say Gou Mukhi. Such a plot consider auspicious for residential purposes. Such plots bring prosperity to the house owners. Like this type of plot is good for house.
Simha-mukhi plot – A plot that is wide in the front or entrance and narrow at the back is known as Simha Mukhi plot. Such plots consider inauspicious for residential purpose but are suitable for commercial purpose .
Plots with corners cut – Plots with a missing corner should not purchase for any reason.
Vastu FOR SOIL
To construct a building for any purpose, land required. It should be correctly noted for what purpose the land was being used previously. While purchasing land, it is ideal to buy a piece of land that is most suitable for cultivation i.e., where the vegetation can grow. There are different types of soil based on the colour- brick red, dark brown, white, red, yellow, black etc.
In general, the soil that is ideal for agriculture, such as red, brick red, brown, yellow soil, etc., is also good for building foundations. Whereas, as it holds water and can bring dampness to the foundation, black and clayey soil that is not good for agriculture is also not good for houses. It is better to avoid a site with black and clayey soil.
VASTU FOR SLOPE
According to Vastu Shastra, sites sloping towards East and North are very auspicious and give all-round prosperity and health while land sloping towards South and West is highly inauspicious. It means that downward slope towards East gives growth and prosperity, slope towards North gives wealth.
BASIC VASTU CHART FOR HOME
|Structure Position||North||South||East||West||North East||North West||South East||South West|
|Boring / U. G.Tank||GOOD||X||GOOD||X||BEST||X||X||NEVER|
|Master Bed Room||OK||GOOD||X||GOOD||X||X||GOOD||BEST|
|Children Bed Room||X||GOOD||GOOD||GOOD||X||GOOD||X||GOOD|
VASTU FOR BEDROOM
North Direction: This is the ideal direction for young couples and also for storing valuables, important papers, cash, jewellery etc
A bedroom in the North East : This direction should not have any bedroom because it is the space of Worship room.
A bedroom in the East: The direction is ideal for unmarried children
A bedroom in the South East : This direction govern by Diety “Agni”.The direction is not recommended for having bedroom because it leads to constant quarrels between couples and incurs excessive expenditure. Children staying in this direction do not take interest in their studies and finds it difficult to get a sound sleep.
A bedroom in the West : This direction govern by Diety “Varun”.The direction is ideal for students. However, it increases the probability of birth of a larger number of girls in the family.
A bedroom in the North West : This direction govern by Diety “Vayu”. The location is the best for newlywed couples.
Vastu Guidelines for Bedroom
The basic Vastu guidelines for bedroom:-
1. Vaastu Shastra does not recommend a bedroom in the South East under any circumstances. It is best to shift from this room to any other room in the South West, South, West or North West. In case there is no choice, keep the bed away from the southeast corner or you will be sleeping on too much fire. Sleep in this room with your head towards the South and feet towards the North to ward off the ill-effects.
2. According to Vaastu Shastra, mirrors should not be located inside the bedroom as this leads to frequent misunderstandings and quarrels between couples. However, if essential, place them preferably along the North East wall.
3. You can decorate the walls with attractive wall hangings or pictures that bring pleasure since this is what you will see the first thing in the morning when you wake up!
4. The correct placement of furniture in the bedroom makes one feel at home. Vaastu suggests that since bedrooms normally have heavy objects like beds, cupboards etc, they should place in the South, South West or West direction of the room. If possible, avoid beds in the centre of the room.
5. According to Vaastu Shastra, mirrors should not be located inside the bedroom as this leads to frequent misunderstandings and quarrels between couples. However, if essential, place them preferably along the North East wall.
6. It is best to sleep with the head towards the South or East direction of the bedroom. The South brings a good deep sleep and ensures long life, while the East brings enlightenment. There should be no window behind you, while sleeping.
VASTU FOR LIVING ROOM
- Never have a beam or girder running along the ceiling of the living room, since sitting under one causes mental turmoil and stress.
- Keep some space in the north-east corner of the living room. Ensure that it remains clean and clutter-free. Enhance the tranquility of this space by placing a few potted plants.
- Place television and air conditioner in the south-east or the agni corner.
- To generate positive energy and elevate the mood, display paintings depicting beauty of nature or scenery that adds tranquility to the room. Avoid disturbing pictures of war, wild animals, horror, etc. and even those of the deceased family members.
- Never display artificial flowers as it deemed inauspicious. Even dried flowers attract misfortune as they represent the autumn season. Also, never keep cacti or bonsai as they have a negative impact on the careers and financial prospects of the occupants.
- Hang a heavy chandelier in the south or west of the room. Avoid hanging it in the exact centre (Brahmasthan). The living room should brightly.
- Seat the guests in the north-west portion of the room. This quadrant of air and movement ensures that they do not overstay their welcome!
- The head of the family should always occupy the south-west quadrant, facing either east or north. This ensures his remaining in command and prevents guests from dominating
VASTU FOR MAIN ENTRANCE GATE
Entrance of a house explains everything because this is the gateway from which energy constantly goes in and out. This important gate should maintain with utmost care while direction should be appropriate to reap rich benefits. Specific directions decide the fate of occupants. If unfortunately placed in the wrong direction then remedies should follow accoding to traditional rituals.
All the negative and positive energies surround here and which is why it is important to locate the main gate in the proper direction to maintain well-being and prosperity in the house.
- Entrance of the house is best in the North and East sides.
- The Entrance gate should be heavier, stronger and bigger than other doors of the house.
- Keep the entrance clutter free and tidy to make the surrounding positive.
- Entrance should never dark .
- Avoid keeping garbage or dustbin near the entrance.
- Main should not make any creaky noise.
- Main gate should never face intersecting roads.
- There should not be any obstruction in the entrance gate with things like poles, tree, wires and vehicles.
- The Main door should always open inwards.
- Embellish the main door with Om, Swastik, and flowers.
- Avoid any under-water or septic tanks under the main entrance.
- Lift of the building should not face the entrance.
- No wall should obstruct in front of the main gate.
- Avoid self-closing and transparent doors.
- Best material for the main gate is Teak.
VASTU FOR OVERHEAD TANK
Overhead tanks are an important feature of a building or a house. The water that is stored in the well or the borewell has to be pumped into the overhead tank, in order for it to be able to flow down into the house. According to vastu shastra, there are some set principles that should follow during the construction of a water sump in a building. The ancient sages had founded these principles and it consider a science or an extension of architecture. If the water tank place in the right area, it would definitely lead to an increase in wealth, prosperity and knowledge. To get tips and guidelines about vasthu for overhead tanks, read through the following lines.
General Vastu for Overhead Tank
- The location or placement of the overhead tank is one of the main factors one should look into. Ideally, the overhead tank should be in the west or south west direction.
- For the overhead tank, it should at least two feet over the uppermost slab. Due to water, the side becomes heavy which acts advantageous. However, make sure that there is no dampness. The best bet would be to place the tank on a slab higher than the slab of the building.
- Though the northeast corner belongs to the element – water, it is not advisable to have a big overhead tank in the area. This is because the side should not be heavy under any condition. However, a small tank can place.
- Overhead tank in the south-east corner is a bad omen and results in loss of wealth and accidents. The effect of the overhead tank in the south direction is of medium effect. However, make sure that the tank is two feet above the slab of the roof and should not leak.
- Placing the tank on the west side (not southwest) would be extremely beneficial as the direction belongs to Lord Varuna, lord of rains. In such a case, there is no need for a slab and the tank can be built over the slab as well.
- Avoid placing the overhead tank in the north-west direction. However, if the tank is of a small size, less height and situated at a distance of at least two feet from the north-west corner, it can be permissible. However, the water in the tank does not get used properly and finishes earlier than expected.
- Never place the overhead tank in the middle. Remember, this place is known as the Bramhasthan. If there is load on the Brahma, life of the individuals living in the house would be unfeasible. One would also not like staying in the house for a long time.
- Avoid overhead tanks made out of plastic. If you were to get one, make sure it is blue or black in color, as darker shades absorb sun rays.
VASTU TIPS FOR SERVANT ROOM
Servant’s quarter is important to construct according to Vastu because if this place is constructed in the wrong direction then it certainly changes the mindset of servants to commit wrongdoings. Vastu suggests placing this important room in the right direction so that the owner can have proper control over his servant. It has also been observed that some servants swap the position or commit ill-doings such theft, usurping the owner’s place etc if placed in the wrong direction. Therefore Vastu recommends proper placement for servant’s room:
- Servant quarter is considered ideal in South-eastern corner or quadrant as it has been said that servants living here do not usurp the position of owner and stay in control.
- Another alternative for a servant room is the North-west quadrant of North. This corner is good for the placement of the servant room.
- North-east and South-west is considered bad for servant rooms as according to Vastu servants staying here dominate their owner and even commit things like theft.
- Suggesting the colours of the drapery and choice of materials for different rooms.
VASTU FOR LOCKER ROOM
Locker room is one of the most important rooms in the house and determines the prosperity and affluence of the house. While determining the position of the locker room, there are a number of considerations you need to make. According to vastu shastra, the locker room should be ideally located in the north direction of the house. Everything right from color, size and shape to direction and placement of the room should be correct; else the outflow of money would be greater than the inflow. Also, make sure that the room should be fully secured and safe for keeping cash, jewelry and ornaments. To get detailed information about vasthu for locker room, browse through the tips guidelines given below.
Locker Direction-The location or positioning of the locker is another important consideration to make. The locker or almirah should idyllically be placed on the south side of the room, leaving south-east and south-west of the room. While the locker should have its back towards the south wall, the front side should be facing the north wall. Do not place the locker in the north-east corner; else it would cause loss of wealth. South-east and north-west corners are also not preferred either as it can lead to unnecessary expenditure.
Locker Placement-While placing the locker in the right direction, make sure that it is about an inch away from the wall. Do not stick it to the wall. Make sure that the locker is about a foot away from the north-west or south-west corner. If the room does not have too much space, a locker or almirah can also be placed in the east direction.
VASTU FOR SWIMMING POOL
Swimming pool, underground Vastu for Swimming Poolwater tank, wells, bore-well etc. should be constructed in the North-east, East towards Ishan and North towards Ishan where only these directions are auspicious, so many says that for constructing of swimming pool is very difficult at houses, but there is a very good option for placing the swimming pool at house
The North-east corner is the best place for swimming pool, in some cases the northeast corner may not be possible for the swimming pool, then they are searching for the another portion at their house, for them here is the answer. Construct the swimming pool at East side or at north side.
VASTU FOR KITCHEN
Kitchen is the most effected area of house from where all kind of energies prevails while an expert Vastu consultant would surely identify about the adverse situation of house if kitchen is placed incorrectly. This important part of house must be placed on its corresponding place i.e. South-east governed by element Fire. Kitchen being the important part of home is the primary contributing factor in the general health and well-being of occupants.
- Element Fire governs in the direction South-east, so this portion of house ideal for locating kitchen. However, if choosing alternative then North-west part could be taken for constructing kitchen but avoid making kitchen in any other direction.
- Kitchens in north quadrant tend to affect health female members.
- Place water sink in the North-east with the maximum distance from cooking gas.
- Larger windows in the kitchen should be in Eastern side while small ventilators should be placed in South.
- Provision for water storage and taps should be made in North-east of the kitchen.
- The cylinder should be placed in the Southeast corner.
- The Geyser should be installed on the Southeast side.
VASTU FOR POOJA ROOM
While planning a house, due to the space constraints, many people tend to ignore a separate pooja room but we must not sideline the need to make a place for GOD. Thus by creating a room for worshipping, we are creating a room to get charged with positive vibrations every morning and that energy will energize our environment, mind, body and soul. Our work efficiency will increase and so the progress, prosperity and peace.
This room should be designed carefully because when you do meditation, you should gain the positive energies and then you can feel charged. If it is in wrong direction, then no matter how much meditation you do, you will not feel charged. There are certain rules which one must follow before the commencement of designing a pooja room.
- The pooja room should always be situated in the North, East or the Northeast side of the house.
- One should face towards East/North while worshipping.
- A Pooja room should never be made in a bedroom or on a wall adjacent to the bathroom wall.
VASTU FOR PLANTS AND TREES
Vastu for Plants and Trees A plant not only offers a friendly setting, but also a calming view, so in Vastu shastra they have a special place. Many shastras, such as GARUN PURAN, RUP MANDAL and many others, state the importance of plants and trees in our lives. A good plant impacts us not just physically, but also emotionally. When planning your garden, one should be careful. Vastu has some tips that you can incorporate in your life to make it simple and prosperous.
Some of the auspicious trees according to Vastu, that are good for the inmates are described below along with their usefulness:
- PEEPAL TREE: It is also known as the Aswatha tree. Scientists have found that oxygen is produced in large amounts by the leaves of this tree and it is found in high concentration under the branches, probably due to the thick foliage. Hence it is considered very healthy to circumambulate this tree in the morning. It is prohibited from being cut. However, it is not suitable near a house, since it has far spreading roots which can affect the foundation of the building.
- NEEM TREE : The medicinal value of this tree is high, and its extract is used in pesticides. Its twigs are used to brush teeth and in physiotherapy, neem oil is used. Since neem leaves are very bitter, on Ugadi or the New Year in South India, a mixture of neem leaves, tender green mango and jaggery is eaten as a symbolic gesture that one is ready to meet the sweet, sour and bitter encounters of the coming year with equanimity.
- BANANA TREE: The banana tree’s tender saplings are used during functions and festivals to decbananaorate doors of houses, pandals, etc, as they are symbols of prosperity and wealth. There is some sort of economic or medicinal use in nearly every part of the plant. The best source of instant energy is banana fruit, and it is high in potassium.
- TULASI (BASIL): In the family Lamiaceae, Ocimum tenuiflorum (synonym Ocimum sanctum), commonly known as holy basil, tulasi (sometimes written thulasi) or tulsi, is an aromatic perennial plant. It is also known as holy Basil and a Tulasi plant on one’s property is always nice to grow.
WHERE SHOULD THE TREES BE PLANTED IN THE PLOT?
Smaller shrubs may be planted on the East or North sides, but no trees should be planted in the North-East corner as they block the useful morning sun rays.
Tall trees like Coconut can be planted in the South-West, West sides but should should not be too close to a building as they block the sunlight completely. A tree should be planted such that it’s shadow should not fall on the house.
Large trees like Peepal, Banyan should not be located too near the house as their roots can damage the foundation and compound wall. Also, the large trees absorb most of the sunlight, meaning these positive rays will not be received by the building.
Good trees that can be planted in a house compound are useful trees like coconut, neem, betel, sandalwood, lemon, pineapple, bilva, almond, jackfruit, pomegranate, mango, amla, and katha.
Trees with insects worms, honey bees, bumble bee, owls, serpents, should be avoided for obvious reasons. If a tree must be removed because it is inauspicious or for other reasons, the day before cutting the tree, one should express regret to the tree, and it must be removed from its rooting.
CREEPERS Climbers and creepers is a group of plants or vines which need support of some kind in your garden.Creepers or other plants should not be grown using the building or compound wall as a support as their clingers will slowly creep into tiny cracks in the walls and gradually widen them as they grow, causing damage and seeepage of water through the walls. Creepers should only be grown in a garden, and they should have their own independent supports. A creeper like a money plant can be grown within the house but should not be grown outside, using a tree for support.
Ans :Not Good. Avoid.
Ans:Noise will disturb your peace. Avoid